Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Parents Just Don't Understand

Yo what it look like folk? Its Steez back at y'all with a lil post. I was chillin with my kidss and got to lookin back on my own square childhood. So I decided to share somethings with y'all. Its gonnna be pretty short and sweet so.....Shall we?

Instead of getting all teary eyed about my past I decided to have a lil more fun with it. I'm gonna list the 5 Wackest pieces of Gear my mom ever put on me. To preface this conversation I must say that like a lot of you we didn't have much money. My mom was a single mother raising 2 bad ass little boys. She got laid off and was out of work for a spell. So as you can imagine a lot of my clothes were hand me downs. Some also came from the Red White And Blue, which was more or less a bootleg Goodwill(imagine the horror). So without further adieu I will give you the Top 5 Wackest Pieces of Gear my mom ever got me.

5. A bright red pleather Duck feather Down jacket. This is when everyone was rocking Triple Fat Goose down jackets. My mom got me this atrocity. Add to that the fact we lived in a Crip neighborhood and I would have most likely been gunned down for wearing it.....

4. This one is low on the list cause I asked for it. I knew my mom would never spring for some Jordans so I would have her go to Payless and get me the look alikes. Instead of the jumpman logo they just had a nigga holding a basketball on them. Where was Shaq back then?

3. My mom bought me a whole collection of those MC Hammer parachute pants. All different colors and patterns. *shakes head*

2. This irregular ass Enyce shirt....the shirt itself was fly. But the sleeves were too tight. Now I got some pipe cleaners and I was STILL doing the Hulk in this shirt.

And the coup de grace...the ABSOLUTE worst piece of gear I ever had to rock(Bosslady 82 you might remember this one)

1. A Fila Hat. Now, this one deserves some explaining. Peep this is when Fila was the shilznit. I always got the hook up for the first day of school, being that my b day is usually a week or so before. So this was it...my first day in the 6th grade...at a new school. I wanted some new fila kicks, a fila sweatsuit, and a matching hat. My mom came the fuck THROUGH. Navy blue sweatsuit with red and white trim. White high tops with navy and red trim. Pretty fly right? Well let's get to the hat....it was a navy hat with FILA written across the front. The only problem was Fila was spelled out with those white felt iron on letters. LMFAO. My mom couldn't find a hat she liked so she MADE one. Lol. Man I rocked it anyway. Just to the back so people couldn't tease me to my face.

So there it is...my list. Why I'm a square frome way back. Y'all can respond with some of your worst gear memories if you like.

I'm out

P.s. I just wanna say thanks to my mom....I know you were doing the best you could.

5 comments:

  1. Red White and Blue was and still is the shit! All kinds of treasure can be found there. My 1st apartment was completely furnished (down to the curtains and sheets!) ala Red White and Blue. I wish they had one in GA.

    My Mommie was a single parent with two children, but she wasn't broke. I didn't find out that little tidbit until I was grown cause she was (and still is) cheap as hell! I remember my 1st bra came from Pathmark! She would buy 2 pairs of skips (That would never tear up no matter what I did to them) out of a bin at Alexanders for $3 for both of them. Oh the shame in trying clothes on in the aisle of a big department store!


    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @ the Fila hat. I remember my sister having my grandmother sewing the Guess logo on her jeans.

    Hammer pants were the in thing back then. I had a black pair. I would wear them with a pair of platen leather shoes with a gold tip. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As promised Steez I have come to air it out LOL I will no longer be BossLady82 I am now QUEEN BEE lol....but first let me comment on your post....ok you had my literally dying from laughing so damn hard, now I'm not goin front my mom got me more than a couple times with the "Cmon were going to go shoppin to get some new things for you" we would pile in the 4 door sunbird and be driving to the Red, White, and Blue by Mount Oliver now any car ride that was longer than 10 minutes I'm sleep....so she calls my name and she has excitment in her voice so this gets me excited I look around and I see those damn words and I saw FUCK SHE GOT ME AGAIN!! Do you know the embarrasment of that long walk from the parking lot to get the cart, then tryin on jeans over my shorts, my mom actually doin the length test....now please allow me to tell you what the test consists of....me holding the jeans in front of me her taking the crotch of the pants and raising it up to my prepubesent pu-see and talking as loud as she can and say "Wow your growing as fast as your breast".....where was OJ when I needed him? SMH...I also saw someone mention those damn skippies....*sigh* those things could be shot, stabbed, rained on, dragged by your feet from your huffy for blocks and STILL look the same way the did when you left payless...smh....now why can they share that material with Nike and Jordan??? I think I actually take it too easy on my kids you guys...they have never had Payless they think Red, White, and Blue are just colors...I am guilty of soft parenting maybe I should bring the early 90's back so they can have the character and witt we were forced to develop...especially added onto that we were one of the few outcasts that played instruments in middle school Steez....throw a broke arm on top of that.....SMH...BUT we had fun though

    ReplyDelete
  5. im all late hitting this up. but let me start by saying yo i know the feeling. my stepdad died and things went crazy. i had a pair of purple filas, i had to wear them joints with every freaking thing. now this is the time when my 9yr old boy body blossomed into a 14yr old girl, over freaking night. i was in 6th grade with purple filas and a full C cup. uhhhh can you say awkward, clumsy, and nothing fit. everything was XXsmarge. i tripped, cause of the clumsiness and boom, the front of the purple filas were white looking cause of the scrapes and no one sold purple shoe polish. i had them joints from sept 88-august 89 oh the pain of it all...but hey things happen

    ReplyDelete