Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Monopoly On Pain

What it look like good folk? It's ya main square Steez back at it on the blogosphere. I'm sorry I been gone for so long since the last entry. Sorry to say I've been mourning since my last entry. One of my younger cousins passed on some tragic shit. And frankly I haven't had shit to say. But I'm back now, so, let's get to it. Shall we....

Recently I've been up in my hometown of the Steel City(Pittsburgh Pennsylvania for those of you not in the know). Spending time with my fam in the wake of this tragedy. While doing so I realized something that I guess has always been apparent to me. Black people like to have a monopoly on pain. But also never share happiness. What I mean is, at the funeral everyone wanted everyone else to know that THEY were the saddest person there. Don't get me wrong, it was sad no doubt. The square even shed more than a couple tears. Now, there wasn't the typical grandstanding. But I noticed more than a couple instances of bullshit. It is that which it is I guess.

But that isn't my real issue. Everyone grieves in their own way. My question is, why, as black people aren't we as free and open with our happiness? Given all the shit we've endured as a people, why do we find it so hard to express joy, yet invite others to wallow in agony with us? I don't have the answer. Though I've been thinking on it for the better part of 3 weeks. I want those of you that read this to comment. But not really on the nature of this piece(though you can if you want). But I want everyone that comments to share a happy memory with all of the readers of this blog. Ima do the same right now.

I remember when my cousin Marcus(the one that passed) fucked his leg up riding his dirtbike. He had to have surgery and all that....even got a staph infection. Well he got through all that. Had a big cast on his leg and all that. Well me and his older brother(we were like 15 at the time) used to hit the mall every weekend. Get dressed, try to talk to girls, buy a shirt or something. Well this time Marcus wanted to come. So my aunt FORCED us to take him with us. Well we get to the mall and he's on crutches. We get him one of those jackleg mall wheelchairs. Now this nigga got fresh just like us. So here we are taking turns pushing him around the mall and still tryna front for the girls. While he is sitting in the wheelchair cocked to the side like he's Don Magic Juan or some shit. LOL.

I'm out

1 comment:

  1. I agree with everything you've said here. I will take it step further and say that Black folks actively try to discourage happiness. I don't know how many times I have been in the throes of a happy moment and someone walks up and ruins it, or tries to. I've gotten to the point where when I'm happy, I just keep it to myself.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete