Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Death of Black Masculinity

What it look like folk? Its the nets favorite square Steez. I'm on the el right now fresh from my visit with the urologist. Everything is a go. I will be getting my procedure done on the 22nd. It is actually my procedure or the reaction to it that is prompting this post. So since its out there I might as well get to it....shall we?

Yeah folk, I'm hangin the boys up. We've had a good run. 4 beautiful babies. Even a couple of scares. Lol I'm callin it quits in the sperm game though. But the reaction to my decision from both men and women has been funny to say the least. It seems that the consensus is once a man loses the ability to procreate he loses what makes him a man. Nowhere is this notion more embraced than in the black community. As if we don't have enough baby daddies already.

Take a look at the picture above. That's a dude. In fact this dude was on Americas Next Top Model last year or something. I was recently sick so I stayed home from work. This dude was on Tyras show. After listening to him talk about how he "is a woman trapped in a mans body" Tyra opted to help him get his very pricey surgery. This didn't bother me. If a dude wants to dress like a chick..hey who am I to diss him. But what is wrong with being a man? A black man at that? Elton John has been openly gay for decades. Probably sucked and fucked all types of dudes. But he is still a man. He still values his masculinity.

That attitude is sorely missing in the black community among gay and straight men alike. Masculinity is more than just the ability to create a life. And you don't lose it when you lose that ability. I'm not no fuckin after school special so you're gonna have to define what masculinity is to you. But if your definition doesn't go past ejaculation...then you have a problem.

I'm out

1 comment:

  1. You should be applauded for taking the steps toward not having more children b/c you know you don't want anymore. I don't think that makes any man less of a man. That's responsible. I know a couple of dudes with 4, 5 kids they can barely take care of with different mothers who need to be visiting urologist.

    ReplyDelete