Friday, January 28, 2011

Getting That Old Thing Back




What it look like good folk? Its that square guy Steez back at yall with more L7 material. Last we spoke the Steelers were bout to get off in the Jets ass...LOL...not really but...we won...and going to the superbowl...kiss the ring. I'm sitting here on a chilly night in Philadelphia, on the heals of a lil snow storm. Had the day off yesterday due to the weather, I was gonna get at yall then, but between shoveling the Baron out and sittin on my ass I didn't get around to it. But I'm here now and thats all that counts right? Right...so lets get on with his blog thing....shall we?!?!?!

Now, the title of this blog may be decieving. No this is not about getting back with your ex. I don't believe in that type of shit really. Nor do I know how to properly do it without fucking up both or your lives. So, you gon' have to go elsewhere for that blog. This particular entry is about the roles we take(or refuse) within the confines of our relationships. Now lemme preface all of this by saying, I really don't care who does what or how...but I think muhfuckas should be consistant with whatever path they choose.

As time goes on, and I discuss my divorce with other people, I notice a lot of young women not necessarily siding with BT, but trying to see her point of view. Which is fine, I want people to be objective. But don't kick that "you just left her with the kids" bullshit at me. Because if I woulda took them it would be "you can't take a womans kids". Feel me. So I ask...what are the roles in modern relationships? Many young women(especially black women) get caught up on being "independent" whatever the fuck that means. Basically saying they aren't relying on a man for shit. I can dig that. But the same women complain to me how they meet men that don't want to take them out and or pay for things. I had a chick say to me today "how are these guys gonna expect us(women) to be all open sesame with our legs. But I couldn't get nobody to shovel my snow". To which I asked "are you implying you called a guy to come over your house and shovel?" She didn't really answer...but I thought the idea of that was fucked up at its core. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with calling a guy and asking him that. If in return he can one day call you to come over his house and cook a meal. Right?

I see nothing wrong with the archaic way of doing things. In fact, I would have definitely preferred them over the bullshit I dealt with. Growing up with my grandparents, I saw my grandmother run my grandfathers bathwater(before he got home) fix his meals etc. I saw my grandfather return the favor. Ma Steez was a single mother for the majority of my childhood, but once she got with my step dad, she became a wife and conducts herself as such...cooking cleaning shopping. The same can be said of my aunt. Is there anything wrong with this? No. Are they less womanly or independent than these young bitches with B.A.s or whatever other certification? No. Not in my eyes at least. Bottom line we can be old fashioned. I will go out, kill something, and bring it home. But your ass better be there to cook it and do the dishes. If that doesn't suit you? Fine...we can be the Obamas. Makes me no difference. But you can't be Michelle when its time to cook a meal, and Ma Kettle when its time to pay for one.

To Love, Honor, and Obey. That is a line in most wedding vows. For whatever reason, the younger generation of women(black women) want to exclude the word "obey". To which I say "bullshit". What is wrong with being obediant to the person you are pledging your life to? If you trust them enough to marry them, shouldn't you trust them enough to obey what they tell you, trusting that they won't instruct you to do some wild shit? Now men, you aren't off the hook...because I believe respect goes both ways...and to be respected by your woman you should also prove that you are someone that deserves respect. If you are an aint shit nigga...you can't expect your woman to be Claire Huxtable.

All in all, we need to begin to define what we want up front. But more importantly we have to also address what we are and aren't willing to do. If you are an urban professional woman...do ya thing girl. But let your man know that before trying to tie him down. You never know...he may be looking for June Cleaver.

I'm out......

No comments:

Post a Comment