Saturday, January 15, 2011

I Got a Bridge to Sell Ya




What it look like good folk? Its ya boy Steez, right back at yall with these chronicles. Just coming off a pretty intense jiu jitsu class...sore in a lot of spots. I'm just sippin a Gatorade, waiting for all these playoff games to start. I had a few things on my mind, so I decided, what would be better than to share it with my fam a lam....so lets get on with these Chronicles....shall we?

So I was sitting around thinking about platonic friendships. Well actually I was talking to Ma Steez and the thought came to my head. I realized that throughout my life, as long as I can remember, my mother never had any male friends. She had, guys she dealt with...and guys that wanted to deal with her. That was about it. There was no random niggas just hangin around. No Mr. Davids. Nothing. Then I thought about my aunts...same thing. Co workers? sure...guys they grew up with...of course...but there was nobody they tagged "friend". Then I looked at myself, and EVERYONE in my age group. We ALL got platonic friends. Why? Are we more sophisicated? Emphatically NO!!!! So why? Why is it okay for all of us to have real relationships and also these "friendships" on the side? I got some ideas.

1. Ego. Of people in my age group I don't know one muhfucka that don't want someone telling them how fly they are, or how fly they used to be...or how fly they can be. I've noticed that with us diving into serious relationships so haphazardly the ego stroke of just being in a committed relationship seems to die off hella quick. So we tend to want to keep a bunch of people around that remind us that we are still the shit. Fucked up...I know...but thats just something I noticed...something I myself am guilty of.

2. Selfishness. I've noticed that NOBODY really wants their significant other to have platonic friends. But at the same time, WE want to have them. So how can we honestly ask someone to do something that we arent willing to do ourselves. This is some dangerous bullshit. What we seem to not understand is...fuck the little people we grew up with. LOL. Really...In all reality half the people I "know" I wouldn't have any contact with if not for facebook. Last I checked I was doing just fine without them...and they were okay without me. But now that we CAN associate, we feel that we SHOULD...but for what? See #1.

So there is the agreement. The funny thing about it is. Neither party ever says that it is okay for the other person to entertain these friendships. Most of the time, its "I don't care". But you know you do. To be fair, most of the friendships are just that. But what about the 1 that isn't? How do you handle that? You don't...why? Because of the agreement....we sit and bicker...feeding insecurity like a Mogwai after midnight....then it becomes a fuckin Gremlin. Oops.....

I'm Out.....

1 comment:

  1. i agree with what you are saying...but no matter what, the person is still lying and will continue to keep those "friends" around. even though they know it's bad for business and in the end will cause a relationship chapter 13. if everyone feels the need to have their ego stroked by strangers, coworkers, relationships of the past then get out of said relationship or never start one. that will save a lot of time, energy, and pending court cases.

    ReplyDelete