Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I'm Such a Geek

What it look like folk? Its the big square Steez droppin some more of these here chronicles. Not much been goin on since we last met up. My Easter weekend was pretty much wrecked by some kind of chest cold/ pneumonia/repiratory infection like demon that took me out of commision Friday afternoon. I wasted 12 bucks on some Mucinex. No lie that didn't do a damn thing for me. Then I whipped up the disgusting concoction of apple cider vinegar, honey, and warm water, like Gram used to give us. A vile swill indeed. But within the hour I felt the cold in my chest breaking up. So fuck you Mucinex!!!!! Thanks to our old broke relatives that came up with some of these remedies. Well I guess I should move on to the task at hand...shall we?

While everyone was out copping the new Jada album, I went a more geek-y route and conserved my limited resources for a greater treat(for me anyway) That's right the supervillain has returned. I just grabbed up DOOM(formerly MF DOOM) new album Born Like This. This is an album I've been waiting for for over 3 years. And boy was it worth the wait. This ain't an album review, so I won't bore y'all with the details. But if you lookin for some good underground hip hop, are a fan of his, or just want to try something new? Check ot my man DOOM. Note: Steez just realized that his new CD is still at home, therefore he cannot listen to it at work. A tear forms. Until he realizes that he copied it to his trusty G1 phone. CHUUUUCH!!!!

I just read something real cool. As most of you know I'm a gamer. I spend a significant amount of money on my hobby. Anywho I just saw a new "console" is looking to compete with Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo.
The company is Rearden Labs. Their creation is OnLive(pictured above). Its basically a portable harddrive that you can go online and download games on, then connect to your TV and rock out. Of course the games are either purchased or rented. Online play will most likely be handled on regional servers to keep lag down. Meaning you will be able to play online but only against people in your local area. The controller that is offered gives players the ability to pause, rewind, and record their games(madden beatdowns just got a little more humiliating).

All in all I think this is a great idea. Though a price has not been set for the harddrive or the games, they will most likely be much cheaper than the alternatives on the market now(maybe comparable to the wii). Throw in the option to rent and its definitely a deal. While it most likely won't be as "cool" to have this as it is the other 3 systems, this could take the burden off the shoulders(and wallets) of parents. Also casual gamers who really my only buy a couple of games a year don't have to drop $600 to do so.

The one pitfall that I read in the Game Informer is that while 9 big name game publishers such as EA(responsible for Madden), THQ,and Ubisoft to name a few, have signed on the games being offered are ones that have already been release. Basically, when a new game releases it won't release that day on OnLive. Kind of a bummer. But honestly, most working adults don't buy games on the release date. But the question is how long do you have to wait? Also the aformentioned lag time and how itmay effect how you play and who you can play.

All in all, I don't think that this will catch on. But I do believe that this innovation will maybe spark the "next big thing" in home entertainment. Video games are still a growing medium. Some video game production costs rival major motion pictures, games and consoles are quickly becoming too expensive for both the player and the studios. Trimming of the fat isn't a bad thing. I'm looking forward to the release of OnLive and the gaming communities response. The future is here folks.

I'm out

Check out the OnLive at www.onlive.com

1 comment:

  1. Homemade remedies are the best! Forget some Nyquil...give me a hot toddy. lol

    I haven't been a gamer since Super Mario and Duck Hunt.

    ReplyDelete