Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Return to Innocence...In a Sense

What it look like folk? Starting square number L7 its STEEEEEEEEEZ!!!!!!! Thank you thank you, you're too kind. I'm back at y'all with some more of the chronicles. So I'm gonna get back to it since I don't have much to say outside of the topic at hand. Shall we?

So I was doing some facebook stalking recently. Instead of looking for high school people I haven't seen in a while I took it back to middle school. When I did this, a lot of names came to mind. Some I found. Some I didn't. But one stuck out....Kaylin...I'm not gonna drop her whole government on y'all. But this was a girl I spent most. Of my middle school years "chasing" after. I wasn't quite the suave square that is writing this right now. Most of my preteen advances were mostly weird jokes and wild antics. But I'm not really here to talk about that.

I was really thinking about the simplicity of those times. Especially in the dynamics of male female relationships. You tell a girl you like her, she says she likes you back. You hold hands until your palms sweat and make farting noise. Yo go home, hump your pillow and go to sleep. Or, you tell a girl you like her. She recoils in disgust, clowns you. You go home sulk, hump your pillow then go to sleep. Very uncomplicated stuff...and for better or worse you could hump a pillow. Now there is so much more in play. So much more at stake.

Seeing Kaylins picture took me back to the time when sex wasn't even a real possibility. Though I thought about it constantly. it was hard enough to TALK to a girl...involuntary erections played spoilsport to any fly thing you could think of. When I dedicated songs(all I do by troop) in my head. On some real Kevin Arnold shit ya know.

I'm not trying to really walk down memory lane, that's not my thing. But I couldn't help but think back to those simpler relationships...and how complicated we tried to make them. We as adults always wish we could "know then what we know now" ...but in a lot of cases what we didn't know is what made it beautiful...in a sense.

I'm out

3 comments:

  1. My song was "I Will Always Love You", also by Troop. Yes, I remember it well... The boys would push you down at recess, send you a note asking you if you wanted to be their girlfriend in Math class, eat lunch with you, walk you home talk to you on the phone. It was all over in 2 weeks. Now a days you meet a man online, talk to him on the phone, meet in person and go out. You never know where you stand in a relationship. No one ever asks anymore to be in a commited relationship. You don't know if a man is serious about you until he proposes... if HE proposes.

    Whatever....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those days of getting a letter that says "will you be my girlfriend circle yes or no". Staying up all night talking on the phone sometimes falling asleep on the phone. Those were the days....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently witnessing that type of interaction right now with my 12yr old and a 13yr old. It so innocent and pure and honest. What the fuck happens along the way?

    ReplyDelete