Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Hurtlock 101

What it look like folk? Ya host Steez back @ cha with the Chronicles. Not much has been crackin with me since the last post. Some stupid muhfucka just set a dumpster on fire in back of my house. That has me a little pissed off. Some people are really assholes. But on to the blog at hand...shall we.

My ass is freshly kicked people. I just came from my first Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class and HOT DAMN!!!! That shit is no joke. I'm in pain pretty much from head to toe. Let me start off by saying that the gi we wear is heavy as a peacoat. So I started sweatin immediately. We went through warm ups so by the time we paired off I looked like Patrick Ewing in overtime. I paired off with a hispanic dude, his name was Henry if I remember correctly. He is on his way to a black belt. Very cool dude. I peeped him in the last class that I watched, very helpful to the more inexperienced students.

Todays lesson was escaping a headlock. First we practiced it as if you're standing and someone tried to grab you. This part was pretty easy to get down. A lot of work, and aside frome a grown ass man trying to put my head in a vice tight headlock not all that painful. Now when it was time for me to headlock him things got interesting. The end of the defense was a standing armbar that is meant to simultaneously dislocate the shoulder and hyperextend the elbow. Now, we aren't doing these moves to hurt the person. And the person receiving the move is instructed to tap out as soon as you feel pressure. So it didn't hurt THEN but my shoulder feels wild right now.

Next it was time for some groundwork. This is when things got put on proverbial steroids. Now I'm sure that every form of fighting is extremely intense. But you can pull a punch, kick, elbow, knee etc. But certain things are what they are. Now I'm 6'0" maybe 230 lbs. The guy I was paired with was more or less the same size. You can't "pull" that mass laying on top of you and squeezing your neck with a good deal of strength. Also the fear that grabs your body when you feel that grip tighten, and the air becoming scarce. I must say that if you're in that situation in real life, and you DON'T know martial arts, every instinct you have is pretty much wrong and only serve to make things worse/harder for you. So at this point not only am I fighting the mass of humanity on top of me, I'm fighting my own urges. I finally grasped the various ground techniques that we were showed.

Being that it was my first class I wasn't allowed to participate in open mat, which is basically timed, real speed practice of the lessons learned that day. I watched some of the more advanced students go at it, and I'm excited to know that I will be there one day.

So here I am, sore from my neck to my knees, with my shoulders, chest and quads screaming for good hot soak. And I can't wait to go back. My next class is Thursday. I had plans to go on Saturday too, but I have something else to do. Well folk, that's it for now. I'ma get at y'all later.

I'm out

2 comments:

  1. Epsom salt baths and Icy Hot.

    I would suggest BenGay or horse linament but you aren't old enough to accept that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend espsom salt baths too to take the soreness out.

    Once someone sat the dumpster on fire near my home. I was asleep and woke up to sirens. The sirens were so close I jumped up discombobulated and mad b/c the building is on fire and no one knocked on my door. lol Looked out the window and it was the dumpster.

    ReplyDelete